Participants: AlexandreFreire , BrenoFranco , DeiseAoki , EduardoKatayama , FabricioSousa , HugoCorbucci , HugoBarauna , JacquelineMarchetti , JoseDeDeus , JulianMonteiro , MarianaBravo , PauloCheque , RafaelBarroso , RicardoAbe , RodrigoFlores , and ThiagoColucci
Kata: KataMinesweeper in Python (acm.uva.es/p/v101/10189.html)
20:00 ~ 20:15 Dojo Introduction
Again we had four new members, and so we went quickly through our Dojo Introduction slides.
20:15 ~ 20:20 Description and Discussion of the Problem
We read the problem, which seemed fairly simple to us. We discussed a few approaches to solving it, such as “for each square count the number of bombs around it” and “for each bomb, increment the counter on the squares around it”. We also made a small to-do list with steps that had to be done, so we wouldn’t get lost. Then we voted for one of the approaches and started coding.
20:20 ~ 22:00 Coding Session
We followed the Randori style with turns of 7 minutes, mixing “new” members and “old” members at the front. We had a few problems with the language since there wasn’t anybody who really knew Python at the meeting. We chose the “for each bomb, increment surrounding counters” approach, and we got very close to finishing the problem. The code, as usual, is available at groups.google.com/group/dojo_sp/files.
22:00 ~ 22:15 Retrospective
This time the coding session was more confused, with a lot of talking besides the programming pair. Some of the possible reasons for that were the record number of people, the lack of something to visually show if we are at “red” or “green” stage and undefinition of a moderator (our usual moderator was out of town). People didn’t like not finishing a problem that seemed easy, and questioned if TDD was good in such cases. As good things, the new members enjoyed seeing TDD in practice and the group wnjoyed having new members.