**Participants:** BrenoFranco , [DaniloSato](/people/DaniloSato) ,
FabricioSousa , HugoCorbucci , JacquelineMarchetti , MarianaBravo , PauloCheque , ThiagoColucci and Yoshi
Kata: KataBankOCR in Ruby / Rspec
- : 20:15 ~ 20:30 Choosing and Discussing the Problem
We decided to switch the programming language for a while (from Python to Ruby), so we chose a problem that would not demand too much algorithm background. The KataBanOCR seemed the right choice, since we could tackle it step by step and learn Ruby on our way through these steps.
20:30 ~ 22:00 Coding Session
The problem was solved in Ruby + Rspec in a RandoriKata style, switching pairs every 7 minutes. We started with the suggested test cases, but after some tests, we decided that we would need to break the input into separate 4 x 3 digits. After breaking the string into digits, we would need to translate each digit’s string representation to the actual digit. After that, we were able to refactor the initial code to break the input into 9 separate digits and compute the account number step by step. We were only able to finish the first step of the Kata due to some language issues. The code is available at groups.google.com/group/dojo_sp/files.
22:00 ~ 22:15 Retrospective
Some of the lessons learned from the session were: a lot of Ruby / Rspec; the suggested test cases served as a good first trial of the problem; after some tests we were more familiar with the Kata and were able to think of a better and simpler design. Some of the things that could be improved: our red/green gadget was not configured to be used with Ruby / Rspec; we were not able to install Rcov to check the test coverage (something we should try to do every meeting to discuss its relevance)